3sgte 6 speed?

twistedimage92

do you think that if we got a few people together, we could get someone to find out how to make us some 6 spd trans? my friend has a 6 spd rsx and it is pretty nice to have the short gear ratios.

InitialD93

u could make the 3SGTE tranny into a 6 speed if u used dog gears... but good luck and i hope u like the ear piercing whine

killer_siller

the rest of this post depends on one thing that i'm not sure of, so someone quickly beat me in the face with a tack hammer if i'm wrong:

the FWD and AWD trannies are similar.

if they are there is a guy out mid-west somewhere, i'll have to find him again, but he specializes in making 6 speed sw20 trannies. which are essentially FWD celica trannies (shift linkage comes off oposite side, thats the only difference). anyway he uses the six speed out of the 7th gen gt-s. supposadly if you crack the tranny case it is literally a strait drop in. anyway, i'll look for his website and post it when i find it.

InitialD93

they have the same bellhousing so that they will fit to the S series motors... but nothing inside the alltrac/mr2/celica trannies is the same. different gearings and designs.

CMS-GT4

There used to be a guy in holland that made st185 6speeds from the stock box. Cost around 5K. The person I talked to who had one never sent me the info.

Mafix

you guys know about all the problems related with the 7th gen 6-speeds right?
and you still want to upgrade to them?

CMS-GT4

I think it would only be a good idea if it was perhaps an aftermarket gearset for the y2k celica. Not that strong of a box, unless you don't plan on running more then 230hp.

RIalltrac

BraveUlysses":1nzys17f said:
It really sounds like you want a six speed strictly for bragging rights.

I second that, 5k for a tranny thats only good up to 250 hp, kinda sounds like a bum deal to me, considering the stock box can handle way more than that. Hell for 5k I can bring in an entire 205 clip with an even better tranny & rear diff. If your just into it because of the shorter gears then tear open a tranny and regear it (if you can not really sure though)

CMS-GT4

I myself would be happy with the 4 speed from the Rally Edition in japan just to get the close ratios. I run short courses and may never even see top gears. Well the rally box is a 5speed, but the 5th gear is the normal 185 rati, while 1-4 got the close ratio treatment. I have heard some complaints about the box for daily driving going into 5th. Like hitting a brick wall.

CMS-GT4

RIalltrac":vocmn7t9 said:
BraveUlysses":vocmn7t9 said:
It really sounds like you want a six speed strictly for bragging rights.

I second that, 5k for a tranny thats only good up to 250 hp, kinda sounds like a bum deal to me, considering the stock box can handle way more than that. Hell for 5k I can bring in an entire 205 clip with an even better tranny & rear diff. If your just into it because of the shorter gears then tear open a tranny and regear it (if you can not really sure though)

I am not sure what gear set was in the 5k tranny. He was making these before the y2k celica ever existed.

They do sell close ratio sets for the 185. If your will to pay. Quaife sells a gear set for 5k. There are about 3 or more others in japan that made gear sets for the 185. takara used to sell them, and they are listed in hyper rev. I wonder if someone can get the part numbers for the gears for the 185 rally, and get a new 5th gear made.

twistedimage92

yea i guess it would be for braging... i would like to have closer ratios too tho. but it it not worth 5000 for 1 more gear and a little better ratio for the dyno... ill spend my 5k elswere

OlyST185

oh well if i was someone that has a considered finished project, i would probably get a closer gear ratio with 6 speed. but anyway keep dreamin :)
long way before my alltrac to be perfect

MrWOT

Heh, if someone could cram in 6 gears, I'd get the first 5 close and a wide 6th for highway cruising.

zblu81

i'm with MrWOT on that. since I dont really use 5th for accerarting I'd even consider just getting a wider fifth.

CMS-GT4

Then the rally box is the way to go. Not sure where to find one though. Maybe fensport can get the gear set.