Moroso Oil Pan Info.

Simba

Got around to installing mine, so I thought I'd share some info. First, the redesigned MR2 pan does indeed fit the AT with no fitment issues, so long as the engine, trans and exhaust are concerned anyway. Plenty of room everywhere you'd want it, and a 3" downpipe will fit under it with no issues.

It does hold a significant amount of oil over the stock pan. I needed 6.5 quarts to fill from completely empty, versus ~5 1/4 of old, and the internal baffles and flappy doors should help prevent oil starvation under (very) hard cornering. Overall a great product for a good price. SpeedSource's level sender block off plate is highly recommended, unless of course you want to get the MR2 sender and rig it up to an "out of oil" idiot light.

One issue I did have though, is that given the rear kick out on the pan, it won't work with the Cusco suspension brace. In fact, it's a pain in the butt to even get the nut back on the lower A arm with enough torque on it. There just isn't enough room between the nut and pan to get a 22mm socket and torque wrench in there, so I had to resort to a wrench and 3 lb hammer. I'll have to build a custom brace at some point, but, that's life.

moroso1.jpg

moroso2.jpg

moroso3.jpg

Corey

nice! I didnt realise those were available. Where did you get it if you dont mind my asking?

Simba

RedCelicaTRD":1tjpdezx said:
That sucks that it won't fit with the suspension brace. How much more room would you need to get it to work?

A lot more than there is. You'd have to lop off most of the rear of the pan, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

etantshi

Simba":n3n9yj2o said:
RedCelicaTRD":n3n9yj2o said:
That sucks that it won't fit with the suspension brace. How much more room would you need to get it to work?

A lot more than there is. You'd have to lop off most of the rear of the pan, which would kind of defeat the purpose.

I wonder if the version I brace will work since the version II interferes with the oil pan.

Simba

etantshi":2lrdymi3 said:
I wonder if the version I brace will work since the version II interferes with the oil pan.

The version I brace is just the front part of the version II, which is where the problem is. Won't work.

etantshi

Gotcha. I've never actually seen the ver I or II upclose so i had no idea the differences between the two.

Simba

lumbercis":20j14j37 said:
Just out of curiosity, what kind of heat baffle do you have on your downpipe?

It's part of a larger inconel heat shield PhilipK had made before I bought his turbo setup.

etantshi

I see a dingly-dangly resistor pack hanging around... what's up with that? lol Oh and do the long studs come with the kit or did you just pick them up somewhere else?

toayoztan

Cool, looks good. I've been wanting to pick one up too, but i was unsure about the revision fitting. Thanks for the info.

Bryan

Simba

etantshi":uer7nvod said:
I see a dingly-dangly resistor pack hanging around... what's up with that? lol Oh and do the long studs come with the kit or did you just pick them up somewhere else?

I hadn't gotten around to stuffing it up behind the overflow tank when I took the photo. (no room in the original location)

Studs come with the pan.

Simba

88DBTRAC":vpc7zza9 said:
Will It fit 1st Gen GTE if so Could you post a link to paste in my wish list. Thanks

Dunno if it'll fit a first gen, though as far as I know the block/pan layout is the same, so I don't see why not.

Link.

etantshi

Simba":2clf1zv3 said:
etantshi":2clf1zv3 said:

I hadn't gotten around to stuffing it up behind the overflow tank when I took the photo. (no room in the original location)

Studs come with the pan.

Kinda hard to pic between the mods. I suppose the brace would be better for solo II type applications, and save the pan for high hp applications.

Simba

etantshi":3gfd3lvj said:
Kinda hard to pic between the mods. I suppose the brace would be better for solo II type applications, and save the pan for high hp applications.

The pan is kind of a cheap-o method for increased oil cooling, without having to go to the extent of rigging up a better cooler. Also, helps prevent starvation, though it's more an issue in long, fast, sweeping turns than solo.

I'll just fab a brace that'll fit and have the best of both worlds. :)